Do you know what to do if you find a stray dog? Can you take a lost dog with you? Should you bring him to a vet? Or should you call a special pet service first?
In this article we’re going to answer all these questions, providing useful tips on how to behave yourself with a stray pet.
So, let’s get started.
How to Behave with a Stray Pet
Millions of dogs and cats are roaming the streets at the moment. Most of them are scared, lonely, and hungry. Some of them are in extreme danger of being hit by a car. The positive news is that you can help a stray pet to find a cozy home or a warm shelter. But to do this correctly without any harm to yourself and to a pet, you have to be prepared. We’ve pointed out a few tips on how to behave with a lost pet.
First of all, go back home to prepare an emergency kit. Or you can always prepare it in advance. Take a towel, a slip lead, a bowl, and water. Don’t forget about some treats too. But make sure you are not letting a pet out of your sight. Now, it is time for the actions.
When You Find a Lost Pet: 5 Steps
- The next thing you should do is to call animal control services. Provide them with full information about a found pet and ask for further instructions if needed.
- Then, you can open your emergency kit and treat a pet with some food and water. It is normal if a dog or cat is scared. Just use a soft voice, without making sudden movements and trying to force a pet to come closer.
- If you’re not afraid of a pet and if a pet is not aggressive, take a slip lead and try to get a leash on a pet’s neck. Check if a pet is injured or ill. But never try to catch pets, if you have even a little suspicion that they’re aggressive. If a dog or a cat is injured, use a towel to cover the pet and safely remove him.
- If you couldn’t connect or couldn’t find the number of the animal control services, take a pet to the nearest shelter or vet.
- If a pet doesn’t have a microchip and the owners haven’t appeared yet, create a poster. Take a pet’s picture and print it out. Hang up printed posters in the area where the pet was found. Don’t forget about nearest shopping malls and offices. Share information on social media – Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.